Sodium Diet Advice
The average Western diet is too high in
sodium. In the US, average sodium-intake in the daily diet is 4,000-5,000
mg. In the UK, dietary sodium-intake averages 3,500 mg daily.
WEIGHT LOSS Dangers/Side Effects of Excess Sodium
Excess sodium intake is linked to: hypertension/high
blood pressure and heart disease, fluid retention (oedema) and kidney
stones. A high-sodium diet increases the need for potassium.
WEIGHT LOSS Sodium Diet Advice - 10 Recommendations
To help reduce your sodium intake, follow
these 10 low-sodium suggestions:
- But "lower-sodium" foods in
your diet, whenever possible.
- Check sodium-content on food labels:
choose lower sodium brands.
- Don't add salt when cooking.
- Go easy when adding salt at the table.
- Reduce intake of salty snacks.
- Reduce intake of fast food.
- Buy fresh cold meats instead of processed
- Buy lower-sodium breakfast cereals.
- Check canned foods for sodium content.
If using foods canned in water, rinse thoroughly before eating.
- Switch from packet-soups to cans, or
Sodium Diet Advice - Higher Sodium Foods
If you need to reduce your sodium-intake,
due (eg.) to high blood pressure, please reduce your consumption of these
- Hogmaws, ribs, and chitterlings.
- Smoked or cured meats like bacon, bologna,
hot dogs, ham, corned beef, luncheon meats, and sausage.
- Canned fish like tuna, salmon, sardines,
and mackerel. (Rinse before eating).
- Buttermilk - Although buttermilk is
high in sodium, 1 percent or skim buttermilk can be used in cooking
to replace whole milk or fat.
- Most cheese spreads and cheeses.
- Salty chips, nuts, pretzels, or pork
- Some cold (ready to eat) cereals highest
in sodium, instant hot cereals.
- Quick cooking rice and instant noodles,
boxed mixes like rice, scalloped potatoes, macaroni and cheese, and
some frozen dinners, pot pies and pizza.
- Regular canned vegetables.
- Pickled foods like herring, pickles,
relish, olives, or sauerkraut.
- Regular canned soups, instant soups.
- Butter, fatback, and salt pork.
- Soy sauce, steak sauce, salad dressing,
ketchup, barbecue sauce, garlic salt, onion salt, seasoned salts like
lemon pepper, bouillon cubes, meat tenderizer, and monosodium glutamate
WEIGHT LOSS Sodium Diet Related Links:
WEIGHT LOSS Return to Diet Home